This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Complaints Procedure



We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice.

However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for complaint. If this is so, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible

If you are dissatisfied with our service and wish to complain, we will endeavour to give you a quick but thorough response that fully answers your concerns. Your comments help us to understand when and why problems and mistakes arise and how we can try to prevent them from happening again. We also welcome your views about thing that have gone well, as this is another way in which you can help us to improve our services.


Who can complain?

Anyone who is or has received NHS treatment or services and is dissatisfied

If you cannot make a complaint yourself, then a friend or relative can, with your consent, complain on your behalf. However, the NHS complaints procedure cannot address complaints about non-NHS treatment, social services or matters that are the subject of legal action.


Whom do I complain to in the practice?

The quickest and simplest way is usually to first speak to someone close to the cause of your complaint – this step is known as local resolution. If you have a complaint about our service, you can either ask to see the Practice Manager Kathryn Pengelly or Dr Moss – staff at the practice will be able to give you further details. Alternatively you can telephone or write to the practice describing your concerns.


What do I do if I have a complaint about another NHS service?

If you have a complaint about other family services e.g. dental, pharmacy, optician, hospital and community health services in the North & East Cornwall area, please telephone NHS England’s Complaints Manager

Tel: 0300 311 22 33NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT or by email to:


Can anyone help me?

Yes, you can receive independent help and advice on the complaints procedure from your local Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (SEAP) – SEAP are confidential and a free service to support you in making your complaint. contact details below


You can also contact Healthwatch contact details are below


When should I complain?

As soon as possible after the event as there are time limits.

The time limit is normally 12 months but there are exceptions. If you are in any doubt, please contact the Practice Manager.


What will happen when I complain?

The person you talk/write to will try to find out what happened and take any action that is necessary. He/she may need to talk to other staff but they will be careful to ensure that any information about you is kept confidential. Your complaint will not be recorded on your clinical notes unless you ask for such a record to be made. If you complain in writing, your letter will be acknowledged within 3 working days. Please put your telephone number on the letter if you are happy for us to ring you – this may help us to reply more quickly. If you make a complaint about our services, we will aim to respond with a full explanation. (There are time limits for hospitals and Trusts). If resolution exceeds 6 months, you will be informed of the reason in writing.



What if I remain unhappy?

Please tell us – those investigating may be able to do more to help.

If you remain unhappy when local resolution is complete, you will be advised by the practice manager of the details of the next stage of the complaints procedure – independent review. An independent review is undertaken by: The Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP Tel. 0345 0154033

You should decide to seek an independent review within 60 days of the conclusion of local resolution. NHS England’s Complaints Manager can give you more information about the independent review process or you can contact the Ombudsman direct.


Useful contact details:


  • The Practice Manager, Stratton Medical Centre, Hospital Road, Stratton, Bude, Cornwall EX23 9BP Tel: 01288 352133


  • Healthwatch Tel: 0800 0381 281


  • Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (SEAP) Tel: 01579 345193/03304409000


  • The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP. Tel: 0345 015 4033


  • NHS England Tel 0300 311 22 33


  • Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Royal Cornwall Hospital, TruroTR1 3LJ Tel: 01872 250000


  • Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Derriford Hospital, Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8DH Tel: 01752 777111


  • North Devon District Hospital, Raleigh Park, Barnstaple, Devon EX31 4JB Tel No: 01271 322577


  • Westcountry Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Exeter, EX2 7HY Tel: 01392 261500


  • 111(Out of Hours Service) Telephone 111 to make a complaint and they will take the details or contact Patients Experience team Cornwall Foundation Trust, Fairview House, Corporation Road, Bodmin, PL31 1FB 






Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website